Skip to content

Getting the Sunday Mail


This picture is titled “Getting the Sunday Mail,” and shows a sizable crowd of hopefuls lined up outside the Lenox MA post office to receive letters at the turn of the last century. Whether the stagecoach in the road delivered the mail is open to question.

The building that housed the post office, seen at the right of the picture, was probably built by Louis Regnier around 1900. He had purchased a dwelling on Main Street, built circa 1850 and moved it about 60 feet to its current location at the corner of Franklin and Main where he then built the Regnier Block which contained at least three stores.